A simple and secure way to pay online.
Have you ever wanted to pay for an online purchase using your credit union account rather than using a credit card? Now you can with Interac® Online. At home, or on the go, with Interac® Online, gone are the days of complicated credit card forms and account registrations. This alternative payment method gives you the option to pay for online purchase directly from your credit union account. It’s the newest online payment method, and it’s fast, convenient, and secure
How Interac® Online works
- Select Interac® Online at the online checkout. You will be directed to the secure Interac® gateway page.
- Select your province and then select your “Credit Union” and you will be directed to your secure personal online banking login page.
- Select the account you wish to use and confirm the transaction.
- Then you are logged out and redirected to the retailer’s confirmation page.
Benefit of using Interac® Online
- It’s secure. No personal banking information is shared with the merchant or other third parties. The payment is completed through your secure banking session.
- It’s convenient. There are no extra accounts to set up or passwords to remember. The transaction takes place in just a few clicks using available funds in your credit union account.
Frequently asked questions
What is Interac® Online?
It’s a service that allows you to pay for online purchases from your credit union account. You can even pay your taxes with it.
Are there any fees to use it?
This is included as an Everyday Transaction in our Personal and Business Account Packages. If you exceed your allocated number of Everyday Transactions included in your package, a ninety cent fee will apply.
How do I use it?
When making a purchase online, the online checkout shows various options for payment. If Interac® Online is available it will be shown as a payment option. When you select Interac® Online, you will be directed to the Interac® Gateway page where you will select your province and then select your “Credit Union” from the financial institution options. (Tip: this is the same process as accepting an e-transfer). After selecting your credit union, you will be directed to your online banking page to sign in. Once you’ve logged in, you may choose the account from which you wish to make the payment.
Interac® Zero Liability
You will not be liable for losses resulting from circumstances beyond your reasonable control when using Interac Debit, Interac Flash, cross-border debit and Interac Online service. This includes losses resulting from technical errors, system problems or fraud.
Who accepts Interac® Online?
Any participating online retail merchant. The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) also accepts payments for taxes via Interac® Online. As well, some educational institutions accept Interac® Online for tuition payments
Is my account debited immediately?
Yes. Interac® Online is just like using your debit card at the store; your account is debited as soon as the purchase is made.
Can my payment be stopped?
No, the payment cannot be stopped. If you find you have made a payment in error you will need to contact the online merchant and ask for a refund.
Can I make payments in any currency?
Payments can only be made in Canadian dollars.
Is there a payment limit?
How do I know whether my payment was completed successfully?
You will receive a confirmation screen when the payment is authorized. You will also see your transaction confirmed when you return to the online retailer’s website.